Solar Rebate in Victoria 2021 | $1850 Off the Cost of a Solar System
Reduce your power bills with our quality solar systems. Installing a solar system in your household under Solar Rebate in Victoria is the first step towards energy independence.
About the Solar Rebate in Victoria
Victoria government offers rebate of up to $1,850 or 50% of the total cost (whichever is lowest) of the newly installed solar system for homeowners and rental properties under solar rebate in Victoria. It is a great prospect to get solar on your home and minimize your energy bills.
If you are looking to invest in solar, this is your chance to install a solar panel system for half the price and pay the rest of the cost back over four years with an interest-free loan.
The scheme is designed to help Victorians deal with high electricity bills and cut carbon emissions by almost 4 million tonnes – the same as taking 4.6 million cars off the road – and generate 12.5% of Victoria’s 40% target for renewable energy by 2025.
If you fulfil the eligibility criteria, you can get up to 50% off your solar panel installation cost, topped at $1,888. If you want solar battery storage, you are likely to get up to $4,838, or 50% off. However, you are eligible for only one of the two rebates.
How does government solar rebate work?
The government solar rebate in Victoria provides eligible households the ability to get a rebate up to 50% or $1,850 on solar panel system or a $1,000 rebate for the substitution of hot water systems with solar hot water. This is a great option for households where solar panels might not be suitable, or for households that already have solar panels installed.
Even if you already have installed a solar energy system without any rebate claim approval, you can apply for the rebate. You can contact us (your installer) to provide you with the relevant information and documentation you need to avail the solar rebate.
Here’s how Solar Rebate Victoria works:
- The government creates Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs).
- The government compels fossil fuel generators to either build a certain amount of renewable generation (wind/solar power) or buy the right to the other people’s renewable energy systems in the form of RECs.
- When you install a solar system on your roof, the government gives you a certain number of RECs depending on how much energy your system creates, and the installation date.
- RECs you get for your solar system are called “Small Scale Technology Certificates” (STCs).
- We (your installer) sell these STCs to the fossil fuel generators to offset the upfront cost of your solar system.
How does the rebate apply when you purchase a solar system?
- If you buy a solar system worth $3,000, then as per the current rebate, you will be eligible for a $1,500 rebate.
- If you install a system that costs $6,000, you are eligible for a maximum $1,850 rebate as this is the capped amount.
How to claim the government solar rebate in Victoria?
To claim the government solar rebate in Victoria, you need to go over a few details to understand the rebate process. Steps you need to follow are listed below:
Eligibility criteria for Solar Rebate in Victoria
- The household has a combined taxable income of less than $180,000 per annum before tax (based on last year’s Australian Tax Office Notice of Assessment)
- The household does not already have a solar panel system installed
- You are a home owner-occupier of the house that is valued at under $3,000,000
- If you already have a solar PV system installed and it was installed before November 1, 2009, you are also eligible for the Solar Panel Rebate (source).
Solar Homes program is helping Victorian households reduce their energy bills by offering a rebate on the cost of the solar panel PV system. Homeowners and rental properties can apply for a maximum discount of up to 50% on a solar system. If you fulfill the eligibility criteria, you can apply for the government solar rebate.
Solar Rebate in Victoria is still available. How to secure the rebate for your home?
Solar Victoria Rebate is available to households that have a combined annual income of less than $180,000 per annum and whose home values under $3 million. The rebates are available as a point of sale discount on new solar panel systems and can cover about 50% of the cost of a solar system up to $1,850. If you meet the required criteria, you can easily fill out an application for solar rebates.
Is solar a good investment?
While the initial expenses are a bit higher, the solar system is a good investment in the long-term. You can make significant savings on your electricity bills that can often cover the cost of the system within a few years of installation. Moreover, the current rebates and incentives offered by the state government make it more affordable.
Prices for solar panels and batteries continue to reduce, solar could prove to be a good investment for every household. However, for households that receive little sunlight throughout the year, installing a solar system would not be a wise choice.
What to consider before getting solar?
There are a few things you must consider before getting solar system for your household.