Hot Water Upgrade for NSW Homeowners & Businesses
Heat pump water heaters have become an essential part of greening the economy and reduce carbon emissions of residential buildings — which accounts for more than 10% of the total greenhouse gas emissions in Australia.
Here in New South Wales, it is reflected in the state government run ESS (Energy Savings Scheme) program and its HEER (Home Energy Efficiency Retroﬁts) method to calculate the future energy savings (and amount of earth warming gases not emitted into earth atmosphere) if a household or business participated in an energy-efficiency upgrade activity.
Heat pump hot water upgrades in ESS HEER scheme
An NSW homeowner/business can apply for hot water upgrade under:
- Activity D17 (to get your electric resistance water replaced with air source heat pump)
Who are eligible for hot water upgrades?
All NSW homeowners and businesses who have an existing electric water heater are eligible for heat pump hot water unit rebates under the ESS scheme.
Currently, we are offering 215L air sourced heat pump water heater starting at $33 if a NSW household applies for electric to heat pump hot water system upgrade.
The business users can avail the upgrade by paying an added fee. Please fill in the required details to let us verify your eligibility for the commercial hot water upgrade.
How does hot water upgrade under ESS program work?
Like the free hot water upgrade program in Victoria, participating in an energy-efficiency activity like heat pump hot water upgrade under the ESS program is entirely voluntary, allowing households in NSW to assess the merits of the upgrades and to participate in the upgrades based on their assessment.
Here is the step-by-step process of availing heat pump hot water rebates:
- Find an Accredited Certificate Provider (ACP) or supplier: To get started, you need to reach out to an Accredited Certificate Provider (ACP)/supplier approved under ESS program. ACPs/suppliers are businesses that are authorized by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) to check eligibility of an applicant and to carry out hot water upgrades and create energy savings certificates (ESCs) on behalf of homeowners.
- Get a quote and choose a heat pump hot water system: The ACP/supplier will assess your eligibility and provide you with a quote based on your daily hot water consumption.
- Transferring ESC creation Rights: This allows the ACP/supplier to sell the ESCs in the energy market and use the profits to offset the cost of the upgrade for you.
- Hot water system upgrade: The ACP/supplier will employ qualified and licensed plumbers (and electricians) to ensure that the installation meets ESS and IPART guidelines and product standards.
- The ACP then sells these energy certificates in the energy markets. The profit generated from the sale helps cover the costs of the upgrade, which allows a NSW homeowner to benefit from discounted/rebated heat pump powered hot water systems.
How does heat pump water heating unit work?
A heat pump water heater moves thermal energy from the air to the water using electricity. It contains an evaporator coil with a refrigerant gas, which absorbs heat from the environment. After compression in the compressor, the refrigerant’s increased temperature transfers heat to the water in the condenser coil, thereby efficiently heating the water.
How to apply for hot water upgrade?
It is simple. Just search for an accredited business who is authorised to conduct the hot water upgrades in your area. Timetosave (in partnership with GlowGreen Pty Ltd) is authorised to carry out heat pump powered hot water system installation across New South Wales. Reach out to us by filling out the contact form below and one of our licensed installers will get in touch with you ASAP. Please make sure to provide correct contact details and full address while filling out the form.
Why we recommend the upgrade for NSW households?
Air-sourced heat pump hot water system offered under ESS program are designed to work efficiently under wide operating and climatic conditions. About a decade back, heat pump were not as efficient as they are today in cold climates. With the tech advancement, heat pumps have become 2–3 times more efficient than oil/gas heating systems.
Heat pump water heating units offer several advantages over their traditional counterparts, it includes:
- Heat pumps are 2–3 times more energy-efficient.
- Cost savings
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Longer lifespan
- Product replacement warranty
- Reduce maintenance costs
- Safer to operate
- Increase in property value.